- Italians eating at the airport last thing before heading to Germany for a wedding the next day, because (in a sinisterly knowing voice), “Who knows what there will be to eat tomorrow.” Admitting the next day that the breakfast was actually good (although there was too much of it), but the coffee was terrible.
- Here there are people who pretend to be statues in order to get money. I’m not sure why I’m supposed to give them money for pretending to be statues, but there you have it (the first time I saw one I didn’t know what he was. I just knew there wasn’t a statue there the day before. So I went and examined it—I’m sure the person inside was having difficulty not laughing). One man, however, I find more impressive—instead of pretending to be a statue he pretends to be in motion—walking down the street, hair and tie blowing in the breeze—and holds it still. This does mean, though, that when he’s actually walking or standing talking with someone he looks kind of strange.
- We saw a crazy man today. And not any ordinary crazy man. This one was tall, well-dressed, leaning on an umbrella—and, um, growling to himself. He then started to shriek, then switched to singing Pavarotti.
- Speaking of music, I heard “Part of Your World” from “The Little Mermaid” issuing from the apartment next door. Which wouldn’t be strange, except that I had been under the impression that it was two single guys living there. Hm.
- Last night we went to see a performance by the dance schools of the Veronese territory. It was good, but we were amused by the food vendor walking around ahead of time. He was selling chips, beer, pop; later on limoncello and coffee (we could smell that). I tried to imagine that happening at an American dance recital. Maybe people would enjoy it more if it did.
- Saw a t-shirt in the window the other day that said: “Jonk New York/ Born America/ U.S.A. University/ Old Style/Manhattan Zone”. I’m not sure where this English is from or what it was trying to express. Jonk?
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am always amazed at how many smells there are at any public event in Mexico. I don't think smells are as strong in the States, somehow. Or at least, they are well ordered smells, rather than the all the time and everywhere smells of other countries.
Glad you're blogging again!
It is rather amazing how strong the sense of smell is, isn't it? Maybe we notice them more because they're not the ones we're expecting.
But I wouldn't know about the Mexican smells, since no one I know living there has written about them lately. *cough*
And yes, I'm glad to be blogging again too--glad you're reading :)
I have a (probably lifelong) antipathy for The Little Mermaid due to my sister watching it over and over and over and over and over and over when we were very young.
However, I distinctly recall the entire Snyder wing gathering in the D5 lounge once for a movie night. You get three guesses what they were watching....
I have an antipathy for TLM too (songs excluded), but it's just because the witch has always scared me.
But if there's anything that could be scarier--it's the image of Snyder's wing watching it. The imagination recoils.*shudder*
Post a Comment